|Organisation Name||Women's Legal Service Queensland (WLSQ)|
- Lead a legal team supporting women experiencing domestic & family violence
- Build safer futures for women in Queensland and their children
- Suits candidates with a legal or justice leadership & family law background
Women’s Legal Service Queensland (WLSQ) is a not for profit, specialist community legal centre providing free legal and social support services to women in the areas of family law, domestic violence, child protection, financial abuse legal protection and some areas of sexual assault.
The service is committed to the creation of a society in which every woman is safe from violence, heard and respected, and receives a fair and just outcome from legal and social welfare systems.
Benefits & Culture
- Competitive salary with generous salary packaging
- Additional paid leave over Christmas and New Year
- Respectful, values driven environment
- Passionate, professional and highly dedicated team
- A meaningful, rewarding career and potential for significant future opportunities
This is a key position leading and managing, with the assistance of two deputy principal solicitors and other senior solicitors, a large team of solicitors, volunteer lawyers, paralegals and helpline staff in their delivery of a range of specialised, trauma-informed programs, legal information, advice, casework and services to vulnerable women.
Reporting to and working closely with the CEO, you will act as a key spokesperson for WLSQ, engaging with stakeholders to raise awareness and drive critical law reform whilst supporting a range of community engagement programs, developing community relationships and building sector capacity.
Specifically you will:
- Run the legal practice as head lawyer for the organisation across three office sites
- Lead by example, supervise, mentor and support your team to provide expert legal advice
- Build organisational capability with a focus on quality, compliance and risk management
You will have experience as a senior member of a legal team, leading and managing staff. Your background may be community legal, associate level within private practice or as a principal/manager of a legal practice. You’ll bring to WLSQ a focus on quality, compliance, risk management and continuous improvement and you will have:
- Strong experience in legal processes relevant to family violence, family law or child protection
- An understanding of current sector reform and the community legal / legal aid sector
- A demonstrated commitment to social justice issues for women
- Sound judgement with the ability to manage time and conflicting priorities
- Proven analytical skills and ability to think and plan strategically
- Ability to collaborate and lead your team as part of wider sector strategy
Applicants must be eligible to hold a Queensland Unrestricted Practising Certificate and are also required to have an open Queensland driver’s licence.
Please Note: WLSQ has an exemption under the Anti-Discrimination Act 1991 that allows for the employment of women only within the organisation.
If you want to use your legal and leadership skills to work towards a society in which women are safe from violence, please submit your resume together with a cover letter responding to the skills required section above. Alternatively, please call Louise Furlong on 07 5530 8066 for a confidential discussion.
Please be advised you can upload two attachments, including your resume and covering letter when submitting your application.