|Organisation Name||Western NSW Community Legal Centre|
|Location||Dubbo, NSW, Australia|
|Date Posted||November 20, 2017|
|Close Date||There is no formal close date, please apply as soon as possible.|
|Residency||You must have the right to work in Australia to apply for this role.|
(Domestic Violence Unit, Family Law/Family Violence, Generalist)
- Provide access to justice to vulnerable and disadvantaged individuals
- Deliver high quality legal assistance and community legal education
- 3 positions available - based in Dubbo NSW, travel required
Western NSW Community Legal Centre (WNSWCLC) is a not for profit non-government organisation providing free, accessible, high quality legal and non-legal holistic services for disadvantaged people across the Orana and Western regions of the state. WNSWCLC also provides a dedicated domestic violence unit (DVU) with solicitors and caseworkers facilitating assistance to female victims of family and domestic violence.
WNSWCLC promotes access to justice:
- For people within its region who are disadvantaged by their social, cultural and economic circumstances
- By conducting law reform and community legal education
As a key member of this growing team, you will provide legal information, advice and support to clients in a culturally safe and appropriate manner whilst working collaboratively with non-legal service providers and other stakeholders to provide a professional and holistic service to clients of the Centre. You will undertake ongoing casework, prepare and deliver community legal education, participate in law reform initiatives and activities, engage and foster relationships with partner organisations and undertake outreach work in communities within the region. Specifically:
The DVU Solicitor will work closely with DVU Caseworkers to give legal assistance to women who are victims of family or domestic violence.
The Family Law/Family Violence Solicitor will have a focus on family, domestic violence and child protection legal processes.
The Generalist Solicitor will provide legal assistance across a wide range of areas of law, together with other work contributing to the effective day-to-day functioning of the centre.
- Flexible, supportive and collaborative workplace
- Attractive salary package and benefits including additional paid leave over Christmas
- Assistance with relocation, travel and meal allowances
You will have demonstrated knowledge of the law and legal processes, ideally with experience providing legal services to disadvantaged individuals and/or people who have experienced trauma, together with:
- A strong commitment to social justice
- Demonstrated understanding of the issues affecting people experiencing economic, social, cultural and geographic disadvantage
- Sensitivity, respect and understanding of clients’ personal circumstances and vulnerabilities
- High level communication skills to convey complex legal information in a manner appropriate to disadvantaged clients
- Willingness to work in close partnership with non-legal staff and other stakeholders to deliver a holistic service to clients
- The ability to identify and analyse areas of need for law reform submissions
- Eligibility to hold a current NSW Practicing Certificate (practitioners requiring supervision will be considered)
- A current driver’s license and the ability to travel to remote and rural areas
To work with this progressive and growing community legal centre providing vital legal services to Western NSW’s most vulnerable people, please click apply, forwarding your application in MS Word format including your resume, a covering letter and responses to the skills required, quoting reference #33995 or call Louise Furlong on 02 8243 0570. Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people are encouraged to apply.