|Organisation Name||Australian Education Union (Federal)|
|Date Posted||February 6, 2018|
|Close Date||There is no formal close date, please apply as soon as possible.|
|Residency||You must have the right to work in Australia to apply for this role.|
- Leading voice in campaigning for quality public education
- Broad role including traditional and digital media strategies
- Four year fixed term contract; South Melbourne location
The Australian Education Union (AEU) is the federal union for teachers, principals, support staff and all educators working in public education.
The AEU is proud to represent workers who have one of the most important jobs in the country. With over 185,000 members nationally, the AEU provides support both industrially and professionally and advocates for quality public education for all Australians.
As the Media & Communications Adviser, you will work closely with the Federal President to provide sound and proactive counsel on media related matters and develop communication focused on the key policies and priorities of the organisation.
Specifically you will be responsible for:
- Developing and monitoring media and communication strategies
- Writing quality content for a variety of platforms e.g. video and blogs
- Identifying media opportunities and responding to enquiries from journalists
- Drafting and distributing of press releases and speeches
- Writing and preparing campaign material for publication and broadcast
- Building an online presence via social media to engage members
To be considered, you will have demonstrated experience in a similar communications, journalism or public relations position where you have developed and maintained a strong media network.
Your outstanding written and verbal communication skills underpin your expertise in editing, developing content and preparing media and communication strategic plans.
Together with your exceptional organisational skills, you can manage multiple priorities, meet deadlines and manage reactive and proactive media in a politically changing environment.
You are someone who enjoys the intensity of campaigning in a collaborative team environment. Candidates with a background in journalism, politics, unions and campaigning organisations will be highly regarded.
Tertiary qualifications in Communications, Public Relations, Journalism, or Marketing are essential.
If you have a commitment to public education and unionism then submit your resume and covering letter in MS Word format, quoting reference #33747 or phone Emma Naglieri on 03 8319 4080 for further information.