|Organisation Name||Collingwood Children’s Farm|
|Date Posted||August 1, 2017|
|Close Date||There is no formal close date, please apply as soon as possible.|
|Residency||You must have the right to work in Australia to apply for this role.|
- Lead a Melbourne institution that works closely for and with the community
- Provide experience of farm life and activities for children and people of disadvantage
- Would suit candidates with an education, community, tourism or agriculture background
The Collingwood Children’s Farm is an iconic not-for-profit urban farm situated on the Yarra River in Melbourne. Boasting an extensive range of animals and garden spaces, it is open to the public all year round offering visitors the experience of farm life in the inner city.
The farm operates a range of programs and activities supporting children and people of disadvantage via their school educational tours, Young Farmers and disability programs. It also plays a key role in engaging the community by hosting a number of popular events that promote agriculture and local produce in Victoria.
The success of the farm relies heavily on word of mouth and the community effort with staff and volunteers working collaboratively to maintain the farm, keep it sustainable and to ensure visitors have a great experience.
Reporting to a Committee of Management you will develop and implement the farm’s strategic plan, oversee the farm’s education and support programs as well as managing general operations including OH&S, finance and staff responsibilities.
This role requires vision and strategic thinking but also hands on management/oversight of a working farm, programs, functions and activities. Being highly communicative it requires a large amount of staff and community engagement and the ability to manage the farm in a way that focuses on visitor experience.
Specifically you will be responsible for:
- Strategic planning, governance and accountability to a voluntary Committee of Management
- Farming and land management: maintaining the health of the animals and the sustainable use of farm land
- Human Resources: recruitment, staff rostering, training and volunteer engagement
- Finances: control of budget, payroll, accounts, grant management and investments
- General oversight of the farm’s programs, educational tours, major events and OH&S
- People management of a large multifunctional team of around 30 mostly part time staff and volunteers
- Community engagement and relationship management with a large group of diverse stakeholders
This role would be suited to a hands-on people manager who is a natural and relaxed communicator across a broad cross-section of the community. You are currently in a leadership role managing a large team with broad responsibility across various organisational functions.
Your background may be in education, community development, tourism, animal husbandry or horticulture in a role that requires you to be frequently engaging with people. Ideally you have had exposure to education programs, agriculture or community engagement.
Your ability to understand the unique nature of an urban farm and engage its visitors, staff and stakeholders, coupled with your visionary thinking and ability to work hands on will be the key to your success in this role.
If you care about people, animals and the local community and seek to make a difference in the lives of those who visit Collingwood Children’s Farm, please click apply submitting your resume and cover letter in MS Word format, quoting reference #33788 or phone Emma Adams on 03 8319 4090 for more information.
Collingwood Children’s Farm is dedicated to children’s wellbeing and seeks to ensure the highest standards of child safety are maintained. The appointment of a candidate will be subject to Working With Children Check clearance.
To apply for this position please complete the form below and
attach relevant documents.
All fields marked * are required fields.
- General Manager - Fundraising, Marketing & Community Relations posted 8 days ago.
- Manager Sustainable Communities posted 16 days ago.